Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lees Ferry, March 2012

One of the endearing qualities of fly fishing for wild trout in beautiful places is the often unpredictable, humbling nature of the pursuit. It seems to me that when I arrive at a fishing destination with certain preconceived notions or expectations, the place and the fish often throw a curveball or two my way, as a reminder that I need to watch and learn some more.

Such was the case in early March when I made the trip back up to the walk-in at Lees Ferry for the day, and received my medicine in more ways than one. I came with expectations of many fine rainbows being brought to hand, and landed a fine fish in short order near the Paria River confluence to start the day. However, I followed with more fish missed or lost, mostly through a comedy of errors on my part, than I care to mention here.

Some days, or parts of days, are just like that at times with fishing, when the timing is a little off, the powers of observation are not as keen, or the mind just wanders, too wrapped up in the surrounding frenetic pace of the world. Thankfully, by early afternoon on this particular day, I slowed down, tied on a #12 beadhead red San Juan Worm with an egg pattern trailing, and worked methodically up through the boulder gardens towards the upstream end of the walk-in area. I dead-drifted the double rig on a short line, and cast into as many likely seams and pockets as possible.

I only connected with a few fish, and of these, two were brought to hand, but they were both spirited wild rainbows, including this healthy female stretching just past 15".

As the day wore on, the red and pink cliffs turned brilliant with the sun's late afternoon light, and reflected on the river's surface like a giant flowing stained glass window. The rhythm of casting and wading through this landscape was mesmerizing and otherworldly, making me feel insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I continued to lob the patterns upstream, and after one cast to a rather unremarkable pocket created by a subsurface boulder, the line tightened quickly, and I found myself firmly attached to an unyielding, ponderous weight. A heavy fish had grabbed the San Juan Worm, and proceeded to head-shake and use the strong currents to full advantage, wearing down my arm in the process. I could eventually see that I had hooked my best fish to date at Lees Ferry, a football-shaped rainbow that peeled off line every time I tried to coax it towards the shallows near shore. The trout had to be one of the toughest I've fought in recent memory, displaying that raw and spooky strength where you don't feel entirely in control of the outcome. Instead, I just hoped the fish didn't decide to blast away downstream and snap the tippet like an afterthought.

Fortunately, after what felt like an agonizingly long time of tug-of-war, I managed to coax the big trout close to shore, and gazed down at a thick slab of male rainbow, measuring just over 18", a dark olive fish with vibrant crimson gill plates and side stripes--truly one of the more stunning bows I've caught in some time.

I admired the beauty of the bruiser male for a few more moments as he revived in the cold clear currents, and then watched as the fish charged off, seemingly unaffected by our brief shared encounter.

It was an unexpected and welcome finish to a day that had mostly not gone as planned. I suppose a lesson lies there somewhere, but at the time I just felt glad to be knee deep in a river sweeping through a stunning landscape, and graced with a beautiful rainbow that calls Lees Ferry home.

6 comments:

  1. Iain, I'll bet that fish had you nervous for a while. Fish that large in a river like the Colorado have to be the strongest trout I've ever fought and normally the big ones come up with a trick to part ways when I hook them. Great job landing that pig...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, you are right about the big bow, that is the sort of fish that I can never quite be sure of landing until it is actually in my hands. I was particularly impressed with the strength of that trout, he just would not be forced towards the shore, I had to coax him and hope for the best. The trout in the Colorado have to be some of the toughest fighters in Arizona--they remind me of Deschutes redsides in how they won't give up, and can make an angler feel outmatched in a heartbeat.

      Iain

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, sounds like it turned out to be a great day! BTW, I love your blog and want to say THANK YOU for putting in the effort to make such a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, thanks so much for your generous words, I really appreciate them. I get a lot of enjoyment out of working on the blog, both for myself and sharing with others. Thanks again!

      Iain

      Delete
  3. I went there on monday and foolishly fished upstream from the boat ramp. Skunked. The water was deep and at one point I had devolved into tying up a 12 ft leader with 2 split to get flies down, tried scuds, worms, eggs and midges. No luck. I will try the walk in this time. Any advice: 1. What rig is good for the walk in? 2. Is there any hope of bushwhacking and really pushing upstream to fish on foot/in waders?

    I love this blog, and have begun fishing oak creek often. Love it down there, spent dozens of trips and caught two fish only, one below escinoso campground, and one above Banjo Bill. Thanks so much for your work.
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan, and a rig that works well for me at the walk-in is a #12 beadhead tan San Juan Worm at the end of a 5X leader, with 16-18" of 5X trailing off and attached to a small midge pupae (I often use a #20 brassie). I personally don't use splitshot or indicators, and instead watch the tip of the fly line for takes by the fish. Cast up or across to the many seams and pockets created by larger rocks. Good luck!

      Delete